Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Seeing God's Back

In Exodus 33:18-23, Moses asks to see God's glory. God grants Moses's request in part, permitting Moses to see His back but not His face: 
Then Moses said, “Now show me your glory.”
And the Lord said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. But,” He said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.”
Then the Lord said, “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen.”

In a podcast on 15 June 2018, Ben Shapiro cites his father's exposition (D'var Torah) to provide an interesting commentary on the passage, in response to a question from one of his listeners:
David says, “Dear Ben, from your perspective, how well do you think human intellect can understand God? The ancient Greeks seemed to believe human intellect was the key to understanding God. If God is beyond understanding [through] intellectual tools, what other tools can be used to understand God and God’s will?”
So, I’m writing an entire book about this right now, David. And my view of this, is that it is our job to use reason to try and understand the universe that God built in order to understand God’s logic. Right, I believe in this sort of Greek teleology that the universe was designed with certain purposes in mind and that it’s our job to try and find those purposes. That said, God operates from a different plane, so trying to understand the mind of God completely is never going to happen.
I think the most beautiful exposition of this happens in the Book of Exodus when Moses asks to see God’s face. And what the commentators explain is that when Moses asks to see God’s face, what he’s really asking is, “Can I understand the universe?”
And God says, “You can’t look at my face. If you look at my face, then you’ll die. But I will let you see my back.”
And He puts Moses in a cleft in the rock, and then He goes by Moses. All of this is anthropomorphic, just because human beings can’t understand completely spiritual imagery. And my Dad has a very nice, kind of, what we call D’var Torah on this. He has a very nice, sort of, exposition on what this means.
He says that, people that you know – right, people that you love and you know – you can recognise them from behind. Right, if I saw my wife I could recognise her from behind. If I saw my kids I could recognise them from behind. But I can’t tell what’s on their faces. I don’t know what they’re thinking, because I can’t see what’s on their face. But I certainly can tell that they are there.
And that’s I think what the intellect can comprehend. The intellect can comprehend that God is there. We can see sort of shadows of what God wants from us. Through revelation I think we can see more than shadows. But just through pure intellect, through pure reason, I think we can gather a couple of things. I think that we can gather, you know, the idea that there is a God; I think there are good arguments for a God. The idea that there is a God who is the Creator of heaven and earth. I think that we can pick up on certain interactions between man and man that don’t even require belief in God necessarily to logic yourself out to.
As far as understanding what God wants from us, I think that that’s only going to take you so far. You can get to the Aristotelian logic of: God wants us to use reason. God wants us to act in accordance with right reason, which amounts to virtue. But that is relatively vague.
Aristotle did as well as anybody. Even Aristotle’s philosophy has some flaws in how he brings out virtue.

No comments:

Post a Comment