Friday, September 1, 2017

"It's none of your business"

"When you and I as children of God are living in the light of honest confession - we're not trying to keep things under wraps, we're not trying to live a double life, we just want to honour Him in the best way that we can - your failures are not met with God's anger, they are met with God's advocacy."  
- Nik Godshall
 
The above quote was from a message by Nik Godshall titled "Why All the Rules", which he preached at Times Square Church on 6 August 2017.
 
To illustrate the point, he recounted the following story:
Just not too long ago, my son was playing with a bunch of other toddlers. And when toddlers engage in fellowship, dangerous things can happen, especially when my boy is there. Because my boy is a stereotypical boy. He is aggressive, as anything. I don't know what to do with him sometimes.
He likes to hit. He breaks things and everything. He's a lot of fun; don't get me wrong. I love him so much, he's the joy of my heart. I mean, he's excited, he hits. He's happy to see me, he hits. He gets angry, he hits. And he hit a child, which he knows that's wrong. Well, he hit them twice.
And so I had to make good on my previous threat, and so we needed to go deal with the situation. We left the room, and we dealt with it, and it was a very tearful dealing; for him, not for me. And we came back, and I was going to let him resume playtime. And he didn't want to. He just wanted me to hold him.
So I'm holding him on my lap and I'm just comforting, telling, you know, "It's okay, buddy. Daddy loves you. That's why we don't hit. We have to be kind..."
All of a sudden one of the kids from the group came up. They were a little older, and they started asking me some questions about my son. And, they were making me upset, and I had to keep telling myself, "This is an underdeveloped human. This is an underdeveloped human. This is an underdeveloped human. Children are not rational." Just everything.
They had this smirk on their face. They knew what just happened, and they said, "Why is he crying? When you took him in the other room, what happened? Why is he crying?"
And in that moment, I'm thinking, "This is so perverse. What's wrong with you, child?" You know...
And I remembered a line from a book that I had read to my son only a few nights before. We want to make him a bookworm, so we're feeding into that now. We go to the library; we bring home like a dozen books and we just read one every night. We read a Bible story; he gets to pick a storybook.
That night, we had read a book by Max Lucado; it was a collection of children's stories that he had written. And the first one, a really beautiful... basically a poem from a Daddy to his daughter. And I remember one of the lines. He is telling her about what it means to be her Daddy and what she can expect from him. And one of the lines made me stop. I'm reading to him and it made me stop and think, that is amazing. It is where he tells her, "I will always be on your side." And I thought, wow, what a line about parenthood.
My son is only two, and he's got a whole life of rebellion and folly ahead of him. And sometimes I think, what's he going to get into? What am I going to have to deal with someday? And just thinking about that in terms of that line "I will always be on your side."
I remembered that. I'm holding my little boy. I just had to punish him because he disobeyed me. He hurt another person. I had to deal with him because I want him to grow up to be a good person. I want him to be a good man. I want him to be a better man than his Daddy when he grows up. So I've got to be consistent. I've got to do that.
And then this innocent accuser, if you will, comes. And in that moment I remembered that line, I'm always on his side.
I made intense eye contact with this child. And I said, "It's none of your business."
And they walked away.
Stock photo
 
Certainly, human experiences of fatherhood pale in comparison to the love of the Heavenly Father. Yet, even in our imperfection and despite the evil within us, Jesus recognised and affirmed the natural human instinct of fathers to give "good gifts" to their children (Matthew 7:11). 
 
And this account remains a beautiful illustration of God's discipline as well as protection over His children.
 
The Bible shows us that all children of God are under God's discipline. God as a loving Father disciplines us for our good so that we may share in His holiness, even though such discipline may be quite unpleasant and painful for the time being (Hebrews 12:11).
 
However, in the face of the accuser, God is our advocate and defender. We have an advocate in Jesus Christ who speaks to the Father in our defence (1 John 2:1). And in Romans 8:33-34, Paul writes:
Who will bring any charges against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died - more than that, who was raised to life - is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 
If God declares us righteous, who can condemn us?
 
All our sins have been paid at the cross, and there is no charge that anyone in heaven or on earth or from the pits of hell can bring against the children of God.
 
So, even as the evil one may come and bring accusations against the children of God, God as a loving Father stands as our protector, looks him plainly in the eye, and tells him, "It's none of your business."

No comments:

Post a Comment