Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Power of a Personal Testimony: Lessons from the abortion debate

One of the most controversial topics of our time – abortion – is being debated again in Singapore.

After Dr Amy Khor discussed the topic in Parliament, several letters have been written to the Straits Times forum on the topic. Many of these letters raised highly sophisticated and well-reasoned arguments, using statistics and law to support their reasoning. 

However, one letter stood out from among the rest. 

Dr John Hui shared a simple, straightforward and personal story in "Give women more time, support and choices" (28 November 2013):
WHEN a woman presents with an unplanned pregnancy, her decision on whether or not to abort the baby often hinges on the support she has around her. The greater the support that she is assured of to bring the child to term and beyond, the more likely she will keep her baby.
As a family physician, I remember a woman who once asked for a referral to terminate her pregnancy. She already had a few other children and found it difficult to make ends meet. It was fortunate that her husband came along with her. We spent some time discussing the implications of abortion and the alternatives available.
They returned a few days later. The woman smiled as her husband told me he had decided to fully support her decision to keep the baby.
Some time later, they came back to see me with their young child. I can never forget what the man said to me that day: "Doctor, see this little boy? He is the one you helped us save. We can't imagine what life would be like without him. Thank you so much for your advice!"
Interestingly, in more than 20 years of practice, not one of my patients who made the choice to keep her baby after counselling ever came back to tell me she regretted her decision.
Women need to be provided with ample information about the medical and emotional aspects of abortion, as well as the alternatives available, for their decision to be an informed one.
A "cooling-off" period of 48 hours between the counselling session and the procedure is grossly insufficient. A woman or a couple should be given at least one to two weeks to weigh their options so that the choice they ultimately make is as well considered as possible.
One of the most painfully poignant moments in my life took place when I came across a woman with an infertility problem who tearfully said: "Doc, I had an abortion when I was younger. And I think I might have aborted the only baby my womb would ever bear."
I wish no woman would ever have to go through such pain. Women are special, and they deserve a lot better.
This powerful letter brought to mind the importance of personal testimonies in our faith.

The Power of a Personal Testimony
We have all heard of the Great Commission. Jesus commanded His disciples to "go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." (Matthew 28:19-20)

But what did these poor, uneducated fishermen say when they preached the Gospel to others? 

They told others about what they had seen and heard about Jesus Christ. They literally bore witness to the Gospel. At Pentecost, Peter preached that "God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact" (Acts 2:32). 

When ordered not to preach in Jesus' name, Peter and the apostles firmly refused, saying:
"We must obey God rather than men! The God of our fathers raised Jesus from the dead - whom you had killed by hanging Him on a tree. God exalted Him to His own right hand as Prince and Saviour that He might give repentance and forgiveness of sins to Israel. We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey Him." (Acts 5:29-32)

Likewise, Paul's testimony was personal:
For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance:
that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
that He was buried,
that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
and that He appeared to Peter,
and then to the Twelve.
After that, He appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time,
most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep.
Then He appeared to James,
then to all the apostles,
and last of all He appeared to me also,
as to one abnormally born.
For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them - yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. Whether, then, it was I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed. (1 Corinthians 15:3-11)

Even the Gospel of Luke is Luke's personal effort to write an orderly account of things he had investigated. Luke wrote in Luke 1:3-4, "since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught."

Nevertheless, care must be taken not to over-emphasise personal testimonies at the expense of theology and Scripture. In fact, Peter's sermon at Pentecost quoted from the prophet Joel and King David, explaining the fulfilment of God's prophecies in Christ. Likewise, Paul's Epistles are full of didactic teaching, expounding on Scripture. 

The point is that both are important. And the danger is when we exclusively emphasise one at the expense of the other.

Lessons from the abortion debate
Consider once again the impact of Dr John Hui's heartfelt sharing based on his personal experience with his patients, and then concluding on abortion, "I wish no woman would ever have to go through such pain. Women are special, and they deserve a lot better."

It cuts right to the heart.

So when you say, "Jesus loves us and died for our sins", what witness do you bear? What is your testimony? What has Jesus done in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment